Dubreuil, Strauss lead Texas after first round

Junior golfer Desiree Dubreuil has not seen tournament action since November, but it did not stop her from leading the Longhorns in day one of the Battle at Rancho Bernardo in San Diego.

Dubreuil had three birdies to go with 12 pars on Monday, leaving her at 2-over-par for the tournament and just five shots off the lead. Saturday showers left Sunday’s originally scheduled first round unplayable, leaving the tournament to a shortened two rounds. Texas’ most recent tournament was also shortened to two rounds due to lightning.

“We always make sure to not the take day off when it’s raining, so we are always prepared,” said head coach Martha Richards. “Last year, we played in some really difficult weather, getting hailed on, so we have to ready for anything.”

Tulane leads the tournament at 5-over-par, while Texas sits in 11th of 16 teams and 15 shots back after a tough front nine put the Longhorns in an early hole. Texas freshman Bertine Strauss is in 28th and just two shots back of Dubreuil.

Ironically, Dubreuil and Strauss are the only Texas players at the tournament this week that did not compete in last year’s event. Junior Madison Pressel and senior Nicole Vandermade struggled early before settling down on the back nine.

“This golf course is a great challenge,” Richards said. “It’s got some holes where you can be aggressive, and others that you have to be really patient and manage, playing to the fat part of the greens, and keep giving yourself great opportunities.”

Texas is just si sx shots back of Texas A&M, who is currently in sixth place. The last two tournaments, Texas has dropped down the standings in the second round of play, so it will be critical for them to get off to a strong start Tuesday.

“I think they we’re trying too hard the second day, and we just need to go out there and play our game,” Richards said.

“We just have to go out and try to make a move.”

Printed on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 as: Second day of tourney crucial for Longhorns