Organization raises genocide awareness

WHITE_ROSE_2012-03-30_White_Roses_Given_Sa_Wang6761
Sa Wang

Students from the White Rose Society sort white roses in March of 2012 on the West Mall.

University students are working to prevent future genocide by promoting consciousness about the Holocaust.

The White Rose Society, a student organization focused on Holocaust remembrance and genocide prevention, passed out white roses at three different locations on campus Thursday as part of their annual 10,000 Roses event to raise awareness of the Holocaust and other genocides. The White Rose Society is named after a student organization at the University of Munich whose members were murdered after they denounced the Nazi Holocaust, Shomya Tripathy, advocacy events coordinator for the organization said.

The organization’s event began eight years ago with only 500 roses passed out, but has grown to 10,000 roses representing the number of people killed in a single day at the Auschwitz extermination camp in Poland during World War II.

“We are trying to promote remembrance of the Holocaust in order to connect to modern day genocides,” Tripathy said. “We are following in their motto ‘we will not be silent.’ We are speaking out to remind people that we said ‘never again’ and we plan to hold that to be true.”

Julie Johnson, philosophy senior and president of the Chabad Jewish Student Organization, said events that promote Holocaust remembrance and awareness are of the upmost importance.

There are 4,800 Jewish students enrolled at the University, according to Hillel, a foundation for Jewish campus life. Various student organizations, activist groups, Jewish associations and multiple synagogues make up the Jewish community in Austin.

“I cannot remember a time I didn’t know about the Holocaust, but I know there are people who have limited exposure to it,” Johnson said. “There are more and more Holocaust survivors passing away, and it is increasingly important to remind people of the tragic events.”

Naomi Lindstrom, associate director of the University’s Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies, also passed out roses in her office. Lindstrom said the best way to remember the Holocaust after its remaining survivors are gone is through their stories.

“It’s important to preserve the memories of remaining survivors and more broadly heighten people’s awareness of the general phenomenon of genocide,” she said.

Lindstrom said the initiative does not just focus on Jewish victims of the Holocaust, but also touches on the broad concept of genocide. Raising awareness about the past should empower individuals to respond proactively if they realize genocide is developing or occurring somewhere.

“Do you want to just read about it in the news, or do you take action and try to prevent it from spreading on a widespread level?” Lindstrom said. “It’s something to keep in mind while remembering the Holocaust.”

Printed on Friday, March 30, 2012 as: Students recognize Holocaust victims with 10,000 roses