The Daily Texan receives Daily University, College newspaper of the Year for second straight year

The Daily Texan received the top college newspaper award from the Texas Associated Press Managing Editors 2011 for the second year in a row. The paper also earned a finalist position in five categories for the Mark of Excellence Award given by the Society of Professional Journalists.

The Texas Associated Press Managing Editors announced the University/College Newspaper of the Year winner at its annual convention Saturday in Dallas and Fort Worth, with The Daily Texan receiving the honor in the daily print category.

In the SPJ Region 8, which includes Texas and Oklahoma, The Daily Texan’s editorial board placed first in the Editorial Category. Trey Scott, former Daily Texan sports editor, placed first in the Sports Writing Column category. Liz Farmer, Daily Texan senior reporter, placed second in the In-Depth Reporting category for her “Familial ties pose potential conflict in MyEdu contract” story. The Daily Texan staff received third place in the General Column Writing category, and The Daily Texan Online received third place in the Best Affiliated Web Site category.

The first-place regional winners will compete in the national round of judging, with the winners announced in late April. The Mark of Excellence Award received more than 4,000 entries from SPJ’s 12 regions.