Longhorns win another tournament

The Longhorns continued their winning ways this weekend, finishing in first place at the Western Intercollegiate in Santa Cruz, Calif.

Texas won an event for the seventh time this season. The win at the two-day event marked the third consecutive tournament victory for No. 1 Texas.

The Longhorns finished atop the 14-team field with a 10-over-par 1060. Stanford finishing second with a 14-over-par 1064.

Texas standout freshman Jordan Spieth, the top ranked player in college golf this season, tied for fifth overall among individual players with an even score of 210 to pace the Longhorns. It marked the sixth top-five finish for Spieth in his young career.

Spieth shot 72 on his first round, then carded a 67 before finishing with a 71 on his final round.

Junior Julio Vegas finished second among Texas golfers and tied for seventh overall while shooting a one-over-211.

Senior Alex Moon shot a three-over-par 213 while classmate Dylan Frittelli finished fourth on the team with a five-over-par 215.

Junior Cody Gribble recorded a score of eight-over-218, and sophomore Toni Hakula shot a nine-over-219. Gribble recorded an eagle on the par-4 fourth hole in his final round. The eagle was the fourth for the Longhorns this season.

The Western Intercollegiate was the first tournament in which the Longhorns sent a six-man team this season.

Texas was the only team in which each individual golfer finished in the Top-25 in the tournament.

Stanford’s Patrick Rodgers had the best individual score with a four-under-par 206. Teammate Andrew Yun placed fourth with a one-under-par 209.

UCLA’s Patrick Cantlay and New Mexico State’s Justin Shin tied for second at two-under-par (208).

Big 12 Conference rival Kansas finished in 12th place with a 88-over-par 1138.

The Longhorns will look to extend their current win streak to four events overall this weekend, as they travel to Bryan, Texas for the Aggie Invitational. Texas, which put together a four-game win streak earlier in the season already, will look to win an eighth tournament of the year at the expense of the rival Aggies.

The Aggie Invitational will be the Longhorns’ final tuneup before the Big 12 Championship, which opens on April 27 at Whispering Pines in Trinity.

Printed on Monday, April 16th, 2012 as: Spieth leads Texas, team rises to top for seventh victory