Woman mugged on campus, suspects not yet identified

A woman was mugged on campus early Saturday morning, according to UT Police Department officials and an incident alert emailed to students Saturday night.

UTPD Detective Michael Riojas said the incident occurred on campus near the 2500 block of San Jacinto Boulevard outside of the F. Loren Winship Drama Building.

The woman claimed that she was attacked by two white males who knocked her on the ground and took her bag, said Riojas. The men were allegedly wearing dark clothing and face masks.

Riojas said the woman complained of an injury, but declined to receive professional medical attention or to go with EMS to the hospital. The victim was not a student nor was she affiliated with the University in any official capacity.

Riojas said the stolen bag was recovered hours later behind the Jackson Geological Sciences Building a few blocks away. Police have not been able to confirm whether or not items were taken from the bag, as they have not been able to contact the woman who reported the incident. Riojas said the bag was still in the possession of UTPD officials as of Sunday evening.

Although the incident occurred early Saturday morning, the incident alert was not emailed to students until 9:56 Saturday night. Riojas said UTPD does not have a suspect at this time, although they are looking for the two white males described by the victim.