Texas holds its own at Penn Relays

The Longhorns proved to be a strong presence in the field events during competition at the annual Penn Relays in Philadelphia.

Senior Marquise Goodwin remained consistent with another win in the long jump. Goodwin won with a jump of 7.86 meters.

Jacob Thormaehlen claimed UT’s top spot in the championship division shot put with a throw of 19.6 meters for third place. Hayden Baillio finished in seventh with a mark of 18.75 and Ryan Crouser was tenth.

In the shot put college division, Will Spence won the title with a throw of 17.84 meters.

Spence and Crouser also represented Texas in the championship division of the discus throw. Crouser’s mark of 55.67 meters placed him fourth overall, while Spence finished five spots behind at ninth with a heave of 50.77.

Three Texas athletes competed in the college division of the discus throw. Freshman Blake Jakobsson was the top Longhorn among the leader board with a second place throw of 52.26 meters. Baillio finished two spots behind in fourth with a mark of 50.37. Thormaehlen’s throw of 49.10 placed him farther down the pack in 10th overall.

But Thormaehlen was able to regroup and attack the hammer throw at full force. His heave of 56.37 meters placed him third overall in the college division.

During Saturday’s 4×100-meter relay finals, Alex Williams, Goodwin, Mark Jackson and Trevante Rhodes ran the event together and came in fourth at 40.69 seconds.

While the relay group celebrated in Philadelphia, Longhorn distance runner Kevin Rayes was doing the same in San Marcos. Rayes, along with several other Texas runners, competed in the Texas State Bobcat Classic on Saturday.

In the 1500-meter run, Rayes clocked in a time of 3:56.43 seconds to win the event.

Printed on Monday, April 30, 2012 as: Goodwin leaps to another gold in long jump