Texas loses in tournament quarters, readies for NCAA

After taking the last two victories in their matchup against Texas A&M, it was the Aggies who took the Big 12 tournament quarterfinal win against the Longhorns this weekend.

On Friday, the fifth-seeded Aggies handed fourth-seeded Texas a 4-2 loss to knock UT out of the tournament.

The Aggies got on the board first by winning the doubles point. Texas juniors Ben Chen and Daniel Whitehead won their doubles match, 8-2, to give the Longhorns a shot at winning the doubles point, after junior Chris Camillone and sophomore David Holiner dropped their match.

With the point on the line in the third doubles match, freshmen Soren Hess-Olesen and Jacoby Lewis lost to A&M’s Colin Hoover and Alexis Klegou, 8-5.

“We played four matches this year [against Texas A&M],” said head coach Michael Center. “The team that won the doubles point won all four matches. [The Aggies] did a good job, but we have to play better in some spots if we want to win another match this year.”

In singles, sophomore Sudanwa Sitaram rushed out to a strong lead, winning his match 6-0, 6-3 to give Texas its first point. The Aggies came back and took the next point after posting a win in singles. UT responded as Whitehead tied up the score again with his 6-4, 6-4 win over Junior Ore.

The Aggies got their third point with Jackson Withrow’s 6-3, 6-3 win over freshman Lloyd Glasspool.

Chen lost to John Lewis to give A&M the final point and the match.

“In the singles, to win at Nos. 2 and 3, with those guys they way we did in straight sets and then not be able to get another point, honestly, is a little disappointing. I give [Texas A&M] credit,” Center said.

Printed on Monday, April 30, 2012 as: Texas A&M outlasts Texas, advances to Big 12 semifinal