Penn State kicker transfers to Texas

Junior Anthony Fera has announced his intent to transfer to Texas for the fall of 2012 and will had depth to the Longhorn’s inexperience roster at kicker. Fera, who is originally from Cypress, Texas, has two years of eligibility left.

“The decision to remain at Penn State has been complicated due to an illness in my family,” Fera said on his decision to transfer. “I’ve been afforded the opportunity to give back to my family and make their lives a little easier by transferring to a university much closer to home.”

Fera comes to Texas from Penn State University and is a product of the NCAA’s decision to allow immediate transfers with no loss of eligibility in the wake of the scandal in College Park, Pennsylvania.

“The past few weeks have been extremely difficult as I’ve wrestled with the decision on my future,” Fera said. “It’s been tough to endure, not only for me, but for my entire immediate family back in Texas, and the Penn State football family.”

In 2011, Fera was named to the first-team All-Big Ten team as a punter and was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award which recognizes the top placekicker in the country. He was a hopeful for the Ray Guy Award for top punter as well.

He was the Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week three times in the 2011 season for the Nittany Lions. In 2011, he averaged 42 yards per punt on 64 punts, placing 18 of those inside the red zone. His field goal percentage of 82.4% was third in the Big Ten last year when he went 14-of-17. Fera was a perfect 20-of-20 in extra point attempts and accounted for 62 total points for Penn State.

“A new chapter in my life begins next week, and I am very excited to play for such a well-respected coach in Mack Brown, and a Longhorn football program that is traditionally one of the finest in the nation,” Fera said. “I cherish my time at Penn State, but look forward to challenges ahead and the ability to compete on the playing field and in the classroom at another tremendous institution in the University of Texas.”