Soccer wins a 3-0 game after a series of close calls

Texas began the season with four straight one-goal games, and was shut out in its last two games against Arkansas and North Carolina State. Despite only giving up just one goal in each game, and restricting the number of shots available to the their opponents, the Longhorns could not capitalize in the attacking third, resulting in losses. Texas was able to change that Sunday as four straight one-goal decisions gave way for a 3-0 win over Toledo.

Texas scored three goals in a win over Dayton earlier this season, but also conceded two as the game went into overtime.

“We’ve been frustrated with ourselves because we’ve been beating teams with our possession, but haven’t finished,” sophomore Allison Smith said. “This gives us confidence and we just keep going.”

The Longhorns’ attack begins with a stable midfield and is carried out with movement on and off the ball.

“We have a substance to our attack. We have a foundation,” said first-year head coach Angela Kelly. “We created enough opportunities [in previous games], and to finally reap the rewards gives them a sigh of relief.”

Senior Kristin Cummins got Texas on the board first with a goal in the 40th minute. Texas kept the pressure on in the second half as Sam Tiongson replaced Kelsey Borowitz as keeper for Toledo in the second half. A one-goal game was blown open with two quick scores in the second half as freshman Lindsey Meyer scored off a corner in the 69th minute, followed by Smith in the 72nd minute.

Texas returns to the pitch Friday when it hosts Virginia in the Time Warner Cable Texas Invitational.