Gators name Driskel starter for SEC opener, Wolverines lose another contributor

Week one of college football wrapped up on Monday night, capping off a weekend of exciting performances. Looking ahead to week two, the excitement should continue.

• Florida head coach Will Muschamp has slated sophomore quarterback Jeff Driskel as the starter versus Texas A&M on Saturday in College Station. Driskel passed for 114 yards and a touchdown versus Bowling Green last week in a 27-14 victory. This Saturday’s game will also be the Aggies’ season and SEC inaugural game.

• Florida State senior defensive end Brandon Jenkins will miss the rest of the season with a foot injury sustained last Saturday versus Murray State. Jenkins, a projected first-round NFL draft pick, is 2 1/2 sacks short of third place all-time at Florida State.

• Nebraska senior running back Rex Burkhead is listed as questionable for Saturday’s game at UCLA. Burkhead has a sprained ligament in his knee he suffered versus Southern Mississippi last Saturday. Burkhead rushed for 1,357 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2011.

• Multiple Michigan State football players took to Twitter on Saturday night poking jokes at Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson’s struggles (200 yards, 2 INTs) versus Alabama in the Wolverines’ 41-14 loss. “DENARD IS SOOOO BAD!” tweeted redshirt freshman Kyle Artinian. Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio was not happy about it. “Our guys need to keep their mouths shut,” Dantonio said. “That blunt enough? … Especially the ones not even playing.”

• Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, who was kicked out of the Tigers program after his repeated positive tests for marijuana, will take classes at LSU this fall as he continues drug rehabilitation. It is still unclear whether Mathieu will be allowed to return to the Tigers football team in 2013.

• Division III Eureka quarterback Sam Durley broke the NCAA passing yardage record, throwing for 736 yards last Saturday night. Durley’s performance dethroned former record holder Division III Menlo quarterback Zamir Amin’s 730 yards in 2000.

• Air Force Head Coach Troy Calhoun is providing his personal USA Today Coach’s Poll ballot each week for the 2012 season. Typically coaches’ votes aren’t provided to the media until the end of the regular season. Calhoun tabbed the Texas Longhorns at No. 15 this week.

• The Boise State BCS-buster conversation ended early this season, as Michigan State handed the Broncos a 17-13 defeat in East Lansing Aug. 31. Boise State has had plenty of success versus ranked teams early in the season the past three years, defeating Oregon, Virginia Tech, and Georgia all away from Boise. However, behind running back Le’Veon Bell (210 yards, two touchdowns) the Spartans proved the Broncos are mere football mortals.

• Michigan reinstated running back Fitzgerald Toussaint and defensive end Frank Clark following the pairs’ suspension week one. Toussaint is the Wolverines leading returning rusher. In less positive news for Big Blue, the team lost top cornerback Blake Countess for the rest of the season with a torn ACL. Countess, a sophomore, had 44 tackles in 2011. Countess is now the fourth Wolverine to go down with a season ending injury. South Carolina junior quarterback Connor Shaw can hardly move his right arm, according to his head coach, Steve Spurrier. Shaw took a big hit to his shoulder at Vanderbilt last Thursday night in the Gamecocks’ 17-13 victory. If Shaw can’t go this weekend versus East Carolina, Spurrier would likely turn to sophomore Dylan Thompson.