UTprint service allows students to print in their pajamas

2012-09-06_Printers_Ben_Chesnut202
Ben Chesnut

Students in desperate need of a quick printout now have the ability to print their documents from the comfort of their own rooms and retrieve them from select printers around campus.

UTprint, a system implemented by UT’s Information Technology Services this semester, allows students to send their print jobs from any location in Austin to one of the many printers available in labs and print kiosks across campus. Students can then pick up their printouts at their convenience with a swipe of their student ID cards.

To access the service, students must use a new proximity ID card that can be obtained from the ID center at no cost and install the UTprint software through ITS’s BevoWare website. First time users will be required to register for the service by swiping their ID cards at any UTprint location.

“It is a benefit to students because now they can pick up their prints from any printer,” Laurie Mackey, director of administrative services at the UT Division of Housing and Food Service, said. All residence halls equipped with computer labs, including Jester, Carothers, Andrews, Kinsolving, Creekside and San Jacinto residence halls, will be able to use the UTprint system.

“Our computer labs have always been connected to ITS, and when they went to UTprint, so did we,” Mackey said.

Students can also access the UTprint service at the Peter T. Flawn Academic Center’s Student Microcomputing Facility, the Welch Computer Lab and several other major-specific computer labs. More than 50 printers around campus use UTprint, Mackey said.

Audiology junior Amy Ortiz said she is reluctant to use the UTprint system because of its limited payment options. The UTprint service can only be paid for with Bevo Bucks, a prepaid monetary account reserved for students that can be used at participating locations on and off-campus, including Cypress Bend Cafe and Subway.

“I do not want to be forced to get Bevo Bucks if I want to print something,” Ortiz said. “If I find I need to print on campus, I would rather just borrow a friend’s printer.”

Katie Vichensont, a human development and family sciences junior, said she prefers the UTprint system over the one used at the Perry-Castañeda Library.

“I felt like at the PCL, it was a little bit harder and a little more complicated last year having to name your prints and jobs,” Vichensont said. “[UTprint] is a lot better. You just need to register once to print, and if you need money on your Bevo Bucks [account], then you can just do it easily from the website.”

Vichensont, who only recently obtained her new proximity ID card, has only used the UTprint service once but already looks forward to using it again in the future.

“I like it better,” she said. “I am definitely going to be printing a lot more using this system.”