Soccer puts together the season’s best performance to date

After struggling through their nonconference schedule, Texas put together its best weekend performance of the season to date.

Following two games in a row without a Texas goal, the Longhorns finally got their offense going with a 3-0 win over Fresno State Friday night. Texas’ scoreless streak didn’t last long, as senior Hannah Higgins scored from the top of the box in the third minute.

That early lead got Texas going in a game where the offense had its best game since a 3-0 win over Toledo in August. The offense got 24 shots on the night, with nine on target, keeping the Bulldogs defense and goalkeeper busy the whole night. The aggressive offense also got Texas 15 corner kicks for plenty of goal opportunities.

The opportunities paid off in the 27th minute with a goal from Lindsey Meyer off the corner from Hannah Higgins for her second goal of the season.

A Texas defense that had been on its heels for the most part this month got an easier game Friday, limiting Fresno State to just eight shots, with only two on target, which were both saved by freshman keeper Abby Smith.

The story was different Sunday against Denver. The Pioneers got a win Friday in Lawrence against Kansas, one of the better teams in the Big 12, but could not take their game against the Longhorns over in a 3-3 draw after two overtime periods.

Texas got on the board first with a goal from sophomore Sharis Lachappelle after Denver goalie, Lara Campbell, couldn’t handle a free kick from Julie Arnold. The Pioneers struck next in the 32nd minute with a shot from near the penalty mark into the bottom corner.

Texas took control of the game in the early portion of the second half with goals in the 50th and 68th minute to give the Longhorns a two-goal lead with just over 20 minutes to play. With time waning, the Pioneers were able to get within one goal of the Longhorns with an 83rd minute goal from a direct free kick.

Denver quickly struck again less than two minutes later with a goal from the top of the box.

The overtime periods were much more defensive-minded with both teams combining for four shots, with Denver logging two of their own in the second overtime period.

The game was very even with Denver only edging Texas in shots and corner kicks. Texas, however, was much more physical with 16 fouls on the night, to just seven for Denver.

The draw extends Denver’s streak without a loss, but it gives Texas a boost with a very competitive game against a quality opponent.

Texas’ next game will begin Big 12 play, as it goes on the road to play an Iowa State team with seven wins, winning two games in a row. The game will kick off at 7 p.m. this Friday.