UT schools receive high rankings for Hispanic enrollment

The UT schools of business and law have developed a streak for enrolling and graduating Hispanic students and employing a significant percent of Hispanic faculty, according to a new ranking by an online magazine.

The UT School of Law and the Red McCombs School of Business MBA program placed first and fourth, respectively, for Hispanic inclusiveness in a ranking by hispanicbusiness.com, which ranks schools on their diversity practices based on Hispanic enrollment, faculty and degrees awarded. The magazine also considers an institution’s plans to increase Hispanic enrollment. This is the second year UT’s School of Law took first place and the 14th year McCombs ranked in the top five. According to the website, out of the total 534 MBA students enrolled, 33 are Hispanic, making its enrollment 6.2 percent. Out of its 273 total degrees awarded, the business school gave 21 to Hispanics. Out of a total 100 MBA faculty, three are Hispanic. The School of Law has 170 Hispanic students enrolled out of a total 1,130, making its enrollment 15 percent. Out of 386 degrees awarded, 60 were awarded to Hispanics. Five of the 92 full-time faculty are Hispanic.

Matt Turner, marketing researcher for McCombs, said he gave hispanicbusiness.com the data used to rate the business school. Turner said the highest-ranking schools have either high Hispanic enrollment or are generally considered prestigious schools.

“McCombs has been in the top five for 14 years,” Turner said. “It’s easy to hit third or fourth a year or two in a row, but to be consistently ranked highly for a long period is the salient piece.”

He said the hispanicbusiness.com ranking is the only diversity-based ranking for which the business school submits data.

Rodrigo Malta, McCombs director of MBA admissions, said the business school has a consistent recruiting process both nationally and internationally. Malta said the school’s recruiting and the program’s welcoming environment contribute to the high ranking.

“UT is known as a pretty prestigious university, and the ranking validates that,” Malta said. “We’re looking for diversity and diversity of thought, and these kind of rankings put a spotlight on that.”

Marketing junior Omar Cisneros said the ranking makes him proud to be part of the business school.

“Coming from a primarily Hispanic town, I think a good mix makes for a better learning environment,” Cisneros said.

Officials from the School of Law did not get back for comment by press time.

Printed on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 as: Hispanic enrollment raises diversity rank