UT swimming and diving team displays talent at annual intrasquad meet

Texas hosted its annual intrasquad meet Friday afternoon pitting Orange against White at the Texas Swimming Center where the White team claimed a 156-127 victory.

Although Orange took the lead at first with junior Patrick Murphy’s win in the 100 backstroke, senior Nick D’Innocenzo picked up three victories for the White team in the 100 and 200 breaststroke and the 200 Individual Medley. John Martens took the 200 Butterfly for the White team as the only freshman to win an event, though five freshman took second place finishes.

Sophomore Will Chandler racked up 265.58 points for White in the one-meter dive, topping freshman Sean O’Brien’s score of 260.63. However, the results were reversed in the three-meter dive with O’Brien earning a first place score of 283.43 to Chandler’s second place total of 254.40.

The meet concluded with the White team’s victory in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:21.72.

The Longhorn’s first official meet will be Oct. 19 at the Mansfield Invitational in Mansfield, Texas. 

In the last five NCAA championship meets, the Longhorns have finished no worse than second, and this year they look forward to returning 29 letterwinners from the 2011-2012 squad. Last year Texas won the Big 12 Championship and placed second nationally under the direction of head coach Eddie Reese who is beginning his 35th season with Texas.