Longhorns Eliminated from Singles Play at ITA Championships

The opening weekend of the ITA All-American Championship was a sour one for the Longhorns as all three players in the pre-qualifying singles draw were eliminated from competition.

Day one went swell for junior Elizabeth Begley, as she collected a pair of wins in the pre-qualifying singles draw setting herself up for a berth in the qualifying draw with a win Sunday.

Begley started her day with a win over Jennifer Pfeifler of Auburn in three sets, claiming two 6-3 sets in the process. She defeated Missouri’s Rachel Stuhlmann in straight sets 6-1, 6-1 later in the day.

Two other Longhorns were in action Saturday. Sophomore Noel Scott fell in her first match after three exhausting sets against Purdue’s Mara Schmidt. She forced a third set with a 7-6 win in the second set, then lost the last set 5-7.

Sophomore Lina Padegimaite beat Diana Ivanova of Old Dominion in her first match, but lost in straight sets to Yale’s Blair Seideman 3-6, 0-6.

On Sunday, with a chance to advance to the qualifying draw, Begley was eliminated by Florida’s Danielle Collins in straight 6-3 sets.

Senior Aeriel Ellis is the lone Longhorn remaining in singles play. She will take court Thursday in the main draw. Scott and Padegimaite still have the qualifying doubles draw Oct. 2.