Longhorn tennis players continue championship play, Whitehead qualifies for finals

Days two and three of the USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championships proved to be more difficult for the Longhorns’ men’s tennis team than day one.

Sophomore Jacoby Lewis, who started the Texas advancement with a day-one upset against No. 7 Vitor Manzini, fell to TCU’s Will Stein in a tough three-set match (6-3, 2-6, 7-6). The rest of the Longhorns advanced beyond the round of 32 in Sunday’s action except Ben Chen, who was ousted by Baylor’s Marko Krickovic (6-3, 7-6).

In the round of 16, Texas players began to drop like flies. David Holiner, Andrew Korinek and Nick Naumann all fell in tough, three-set matches while Sudanwa Sitaram defeated Texas teammate Lloyd Glasspool (6-0, 6-3). Whitehead also advanced as he defeated TAMU-CC’s Peter Nagy (7-6, 6-3).

In the doubles round of 16, two of the four Texas teams advanced to the quarterfinals: top-seeded Chris Camillone/Holiner beat UT-Arlington’s Sebastian/Williams (8-1) and Lewis/Sitaram upset Baylor’s No. 4 Krickovic/Verzaal (8-6).

Lewis/Sitaram lost in the quarterfinals to Texas A&M’s Bautista/Withrow (8-5), but Camillone/Holiner defeated Lenz/Zsiga of Baylor (8-6) before losing to Adams/Vinsant of A&M (8-5) in a semifinal upset.

Whitehead defeated Baylor’s Krickovic (6-2, 6-2) in the quarterfinals while Texas teammate Sitaram ran away with a victory against Texas A&M’s Szabo (6-4, 6-3). The two then faced off in the semifinals, where Whitehead emerged victorious over Sitaram (6-3, 7-6) in a battle of Longhorns.

Whitehead will face Baylor’s Julian Lenz in the finals today for the chance to travel to New York for the USTA/ITA National Intercollegiate Championships Nov. 8-10.