Volleyball rallies despite losing second set

.266: Baylor’s hitting percentage in set three. Its overall hitting percentage was .172 through four sets.

2: Number of games between first and second place in the Big 12. The Longhorns, with their 9-0 conference record, hold a two-game lead after Iowa State’s victory over second-place Kansas on Wednesday.

5: Consecutive double-doubles for sophomore Haley Eckerman. She had 18 kills and 12 digs on the night and hit .400 against the Bears.

9: The number of points Texas held Baylor to in the third set. This marks the lowest number of points allowed by the Texas defense in a full set (25 points) so far this season.

Set-by-Set

Set 1: The Longhorns never trailed in the first set and the Texas defense did a good job of keeping the Baylor offense down the entire set. At one point, the Longhorns were up by six with a score of 19-13. They finished 25-18 over the Bears. Texas hit .367 in set one. Eckerman had six kills and junior Hannah Allison had 13 assists.

Set 2: The only issue for the Longhorns. Texas started out with the lead though Baylor kept it close. Thanks to the efforts of Baylor’s Zoe Adom, the Bears took over 12-14 halfway through the set. The Longhorns kept it to within two for most the set, however, Baylor pulled away and won 20-25. Adom hit an impressive .545 and had 13 kills on the night.

Set 3: The Longhorns came out after half time and surged to a 9-0 lead. Baylor came within seven with a score of 12-5 half-way through the set, but several point surges by the Texas offense led to a 21-9 score. The Longhorns finished it out 25-9. In set 3, the Longhorns had 12 kills and hit .417 with only two errors.

Set 4: Baylor jumped out to a quick 8-6 lead. After changing hands a few times, it looked as if the game would go to five sets. Baylor had Texas at 22-19. Texas brought it to one for a score of 22-21. Freshman Kat Brooks had a well-placed service ace which was followed by a Baylor hitting error to give the Longhorns the final lead change of the night. Texas won the fourth set 25-22.

Stock Up:

The Longhorns’ defense. After a slow start against Iowa State last weekend, the Longhorns had to fight their way back in order to win in five sets. They only surrendered one set with a close score, but held Baylor to only nine points in set three – a season low for the Texas defense. They also blocked well, putting up 11 team blocks on the night. Their play allowed the offense to go on several scoring runs to solidify the win.

Up Next for Texas:

Oklahoma, TCU and Kansas State. The Longhorns face a difficult stretch this coming week with three matches spread out over just six days. Texas will travel to Norman, Okla. to face rival Oklahoma on Saturday, followed by a match against TCU in Fort Worth on Halloween. A Nov. 2 game against Kansas State rounds out the week for Texas.

Earlier this season, the Longhorns hosted Oklahoma in September for their Big 12 season home opener, winning 3-0. With the win, the Longhorns are 39-3 against Oklahoma. They are 15-2 on the road in Norman. So far this season, the Sooners are 16-7 and 5-3 in Big 12 Conference play.