Golson returns for Irish, UNC wideout cheats

The Associated Press
Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson (5) is tackled by Miami linebacker Eddie Johnson during the first half of a game at Soldier Field Saturday, Oct. 6 in Chicago.

As college football heads closer to November, the competition is heating up. Saturday’s games will have major implications on how the standings look in December. Let’s take a look at some of the national notes heading into the weekend.

• The big news of the week was the arrest of former LSU defensive back Tyrann Mathieu in Baton Rouge. Mathieu, nicknamed the “Honey Badger,” was arrested along with three other former players for possession of and intent to distribute marijuana, according to reports. Mathieu was a Heisman Trophy finalist last season but was kicked off the team in the summer for failing multiple drug tests. He is still taking classes at LSU. 

• Ohio State sophomore quarterback Braxton Miller will be ready to play when the Buckeyes visit Penn State this weekend. Miller was taken to a Columbus hospital after taking a hit in the third quarter of Ohio State’s win over Purdue last Saturday. Miller practiced all week and claims it’s nothing more than a sore neck.

• In similar news, Notre Dame sophomore quarterback Everett Golson will start Saturday at Oklahoma. Golson sat out last weekend’s victory over Brigham Young after suffering a concussion the week before against Stanford. Golson cleared post-concussion tests Monday and is set to go for Saturday’s highly anticipated game.

• Keeping with the theme of quarterback health, Oregon State’s sophomore signal caller Sean Mannion will return to the field versus Washington this weekend just three weeks after having knee surgery to repair an injured meniscus. The Beavers have become the surprise team in college football, starting the season undefeated and climbing all the way to No. 7 in the BCS.

• Michigan running back Fitzgerald Toussaint has been sentenced after pleading guilty to DUI prior to the season. The junior will have to take alcohol awareness classes, pay fines and is prone to random drug and alcohol tests.

• Oregon defensive tackle Isaac Remington will play versus Colorado this Saturday after Eugene prosecutors decided not to charge the senior with DUI. Remington was held out of the Ducks’ victory over Arizona State last Thursday night. Remington has 12 tackles on the season.

• Ohio State and Oregon have agreed to a home-and-home series starting in 2020, when the Buckeyes will visit Eugene. The Ducks last faced the Buckeyes in the 2010 Rose Bowl, resulting in a 26-17 Ohio State victory.

• Southern Mississippi quarterback Anthony Alford’s mother, Lawanda Ann, was arrested after getting into an argument with another fan regarding her son’s poor play against Marshall last Saturday. After winning 12 games last season, the Golden Eagles are currently sitting at 0-7.

• North Carolina senior wide receiver Erik Highsmith might be facing some penalties after reportedly plagiarizing an article about poultry, which was written by an 11-year-old for a blogging site. The Tar Heels’ program is already serving a one-year bowl ban for a separate academic scandal. Pretty fowl.

• Massachusetts head coach Charley Molnar took a scare tactic route to award walk-ons Daniel Maynes and Robert O’Connor full scholarships. Molnar had the entire team in the locker room when two police officers walked in with manila folders, calling for Maynes and O’Connor. The players hesitantly came to the front only to open their envelopes and see they had been awarded scholarships.

• Idaho State head coach Mike Kramer has been suspended for the team’s game versus Montana this weekend and reprimanded by the University. As reported last week, Kramer is being investigated by the police for pushing a player to the ground in practice.