Texas claims victory on home turf

Racing conditions could not have been better than they were Saturday afternoon as Texas claimed four out of five divisions in competition at the 2012 Head of the Colorado.

“There isn’t as much competition here for us,” head coach Carie Graves explained. “But the boats are still forming and working on getting used to each other, so it was an overall productive weekend for the girls.”

Winning the top three spots in the women’s open eight division, Texas’s top boat, lead by coxswain Kassie Budzik, took first place with a time of 13:52.1.

In addition, the second varsity eight took second with a time of 14:08.5. Finishing just behind was third varsity boat lead by Kenna Harris, with a time of 14:43.2. In the women’s second novice category, Texas faced a pair of University of Oklahoma boats emerging with a time of 17:19.8 taking the win over the Soonners.

Novice girls took top two finishes in the 11-tram women novice eights, finally beginning their first round of races in the fall season with top times of 15:54.1 and 16:40.0. In conclusion to an overall successful weekend for Texas, last season’s Big 12 Champions were recognized and awarded their rings at a ceremony held at Festival Beach after races were completed. Both the varsity and top novice boats will continue fall completion next weekend in the two-day Head of the Hooch regatta in Tennessee.