National Notebook

The Associated Press

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore grabs his right knee after getting hit by Tennessee's Eric Gordon during the first half of an NCAA college football game at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C. on Oct. 27. 

Dramatic changes are occurring across the college football landscape weekly and the first weekend of November should prove no different. With a rematch of last year’s national championship game when Alabama visits Death Valley and LSU, to Oregon getting one of its first major tests against USC, Saturday will surely shakeup the standings. Let’s take a look at some the notes around the nation heading into the weekend.

• South Carolina will be without junior running back Marcus Lattimore for the rest of the season and possibly longer after Lattimore suffered a dislocated knee versus Tennessee last weekend. Lattimore, who missed a portion of last season with a knee injury, finishes 2012 with 662 yards and
eleven touchdowns.

• Stanford has had its highs and lows in the post-Andrew Luck era, including a victory over No. 17 USC early in the season. The Cardinal looked to have found its quarterback in junior Josh Nunes but after a less-than-stellar start versus Washington State last weekend, head coach David Shaw will give backup quarterback Kevin Hogan some repetitions versus Colorado this weekend. The Cardinal just eked out a win versus the Cougars (2-6, 0-5), 24-17, with Nunes never finding
a rhythm.

• Cincinnati will stick behind its junior quarterback Munchie Legaux despite the Bearkats dropping the last two games. Legaux has passed for 1,592 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Cincinnati started the season 5-0.

• Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley will face LSU for the first time since dislocating his hip versus the Tigers on an interception return in the national championship last January. The injury proved to take less time to heal than expected, as Mosley has racked up 65 tackles on the season and has become of the centerpieces of the top- ranked Crimson Tide defense.

• In other Alabama news, head coach, Nick Saban admitted in an interview yesterday that he forgot that it was his birthday this week until his wife told him. The 61-year-old has put all his focus and attention into the Crimson Tides’ game with the Tigers this weekend.

• Former Florida and current New York Jet quarterback, Tim Tebow, admitted this week that he is now an Ohio State fan, solely because of Buckeyes’ first-year head coach, Urban Meyer. The Gators won the 2007 National Championship over the Buckeyes 41-14, in large part due to Tebow. The two have remained close since.

• Maryland has suffered a number of quarterback injuries this season, the latest being freshman Caleb Rowe. The Terrapins have no other choice other than turning to freshman linebacker Shawn Petty. Petty has some quarterback experience from his high school days, but nothing at the collegiate level. If a school could have a quarterback curse, it’s undoubtedly Maryland. So far this season, three quarterbacks have torn their ACLs, one quarterback injured his foot and the other two are ineligible to play. Bring on Petty.

Printed on Friday, November 2, 2012 as: Lattimore shuts it down, Terps without quarterback