Cyclones to Watch

The Associated Press

Steele Jantz: A player with probably the coolest name in college football, Jantz is a player who should be watched Saturday. Jantz has had a shaky season, throwing for 1,410 yards, 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He has completed 64 percent of his passes which is impressive, but he has folded under the pressure of playing top Big 12 opponents. Three interceptions against Texas Tech, and no touchdown passes against Oklahoma pretty much sum up Jantz’s woes against the elite. However, when Jantz is on, he is one of the best passers in the conference, if not the country. Against Baylor he threw for 381 yards and five touchdowns, proving that he is capable of putting up big numbers. At 6-foot-3, 224 pounds, Jantz possesses prototypical size for an elite quarterback. If the senior can figure out how to put his physical skills together with his passing, expect big things. While the season has been up and down for Jantz, Texas should still consider him a threat.

Jake McDonough: McDonough is a big man at 6-foot-5, 280 pounds which makes him a perfect piece to slow down the Texas run game. McDonough has compiled 25 tackles to go along with two sacks. He also has two passes broken up this season. That’s pretty good for a lineman. His ability to rush and get pressure on the quarterback also gives McDonough the ability to break up passes on any play if he isn’t contained. The Texas offensive line is stout, but McDonough could present some matchup problems with his size. Expect to see McDonough make an impressive play or two before this game is over.

Durrell Givens: The Cyclones may only be 2-4 in the Big 12, but their defense has performed admirably all season long. The defense ranks No. 29 in points given up, and Durrell Givens has played a big part in that. Givens is a 6-foot defensive back who has compiled 63 total tackles, good for third on his team. His biggest contributions have come in coverage however, as Givens leads the team with three interceptions. He has also forced three fumbles on the year which shows that he can make plays in the open field. Texas possesses a solid passing attack to go along with a stout run game and Givens possesses the ability to disrupt both. The Longhorns should look to keep Givens at bay by keeping the ball away from his defensive zone.