Trevone Boykin has made his case as TCU Horned Frogs starting quarterback

The Associated Press

TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin (2) is hit by Kansas State defensive end Adam Davis (55) and linebacker Arthur Brown (4) during the first half of a game Nov. 10 in Fort Worth.

When TCU quarterback Casey Pachall was suspended indefinitely for a DWI arrest, the Horned Frogs turned to the only other player who had lined up under center this season on the roster, redshirt freshman Trevone Boykin.

Before assuming the starting duties, Boykin had played as a backup throwing for 74 yards and a touchdown through three games while racking up 122 yards on the ground. At this point in the season, after six games as the starting quarterback, Boykin has 1,540 yards in the air with 14 touchdowns, eight interceptions, and a 58.3 completion percentage. In addition, he has two touchdowns on the ground while rushing for 267 yards, the third leading rusher for TCU.

Considering the circumstances, Boykin’s 2-4 record doesn’t accurately show the progress he has made leading the Horned Frogs and the strides he has made towards solidifying his position as their starting quarterback for the foreseeable future.

“[Trevone] is a natural leader,” offensive lineman Blaize Foltz said last week. “It showed when he came back into the game after getting banged up. We definitely have a better chance to win when he is in the game for us.”

Against Baylor on Oct. 13, Boykin had a career day during a 49-21 blowout victory. He threw for 261 yards and four touchdowns, completing 73 percent of his passes. On the ground, Boykin also had 56 yards and one touchdown. He didn’t commit a turnover.

A pair of losses to Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, which included a injury against the Cowboys, didn’t derail Boykin. Against West Virginia, he orchestrated a come-from-behind 39-38 victory for the Horned Frogs which included two overtimes. Boykin had 254 yards in the air and two touchdowns with 28 yards on the ground.

Although he is a powerful passing quarterback, Boykin can scramble when he needs to. Faced with a fourth-and-five situation against West Virginia, Boykin ran for 11 yards for the first down and then scampered for eight yards to set up good field goal position to tie the game. Later on in the game, Boykin threw a 95-yard touchdown to tie the game again and force overtime.

Even though Pachall is allowed to return in 2013 for another chance to play, Boykin may have solidified himself as next year’s go-to guy. Boykin prevented what could have been a disastrous season and guaranteed TCU a spot in the postseason.