UT president backs Mack Brown, says he will keep his job as Longhorns head football coach

University of Texas president William Powers Jr. expressed his support for Longhorns head football coach Mack Brown on Thursday, ensuring everyone that his job security is not in question.

“Now that the Longhorns football team has finished its regular season, there has been an increase in media speculation about Coach Mack Brown’s future,” Powers wrote on his Tower Talk blog Wednesday afternoon. “I’d like to state unequivocally that Coach Brown has my full support as well as the support of Men’s Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds. Put succinctly, Mack Brown is and will remain the Longhorns’ head football coach.”

Brown has served as Texas’ head football coach since the 1998 season, going 149-43 (.776) in 15 years. After nine consecutive 10-win seasons, which included the program’s fourth national championship in 2005 and a national title game appearance in 2009, the Longhorns have posted a 21-16 record over the last three seasons.

The Longhorns (8-4) will face Oregon State (9-3) in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29.

“Coach Brown restored Texas’ winning tradition,” Powers continued. “He embodies the Texas character, is a superb ambassador for The University of Texas, and runs a program that is both winning and clean, a program that all alumni and fans can and should be proud of.”

Powers isn’t the only one to publicly voice support for Brown recently. Prominent UT booster Red McCombs told The Daily Texan last Wednesday that he did not anticipate Brown leaving any time soon.

“I think we’ve been blessed to have Mack Brown as our coach,” McCombs said over the phone. “I expect him to be the coach for many years. In any event, if he were to leave the coaching job, I’d expect that to be his prerogative and not somebody else’s. Any reports to the contrary are unfounded.”

Brown, who made $5.3 million this year, agreed to a contract extension last year through 2020. If he were to be fired before Dec. 31, his buyout would cost $3.5 million. If Brown was fired before the end of 2014, he would be owed $2.75 million, a number that goes down to $2.25 million at the end of 2016 and $2 million at the end of 2017.

“Mack cares about the young men on the team as people, students, and as players, in that order, and he models the kind of leadership that will serve our players for the rest of their lives,” Powers wrote. “I look forward to watching this young team win the Alamo Bowl and continue to grow in the seasons to come.”