Men’s tennis falls twice to two California opponents

The men’s tennis team traveled to California this weekend to take on No. 2 USC and No. 7 Pepperdine.

Texas began the weekend with high hopes as David Holiner and Daniel Whitehead took an easy 8-1 doubles point against USC’s Gomez/Johnson to start things off. After that, things went downhill as the Longhorns lost the next two doubles matches, securing the doubles point for USC. In the singles matches Texas was shut out, falling to all six of the ranked
USC players.

The Longhorns looked to bounce back from their loss in Los Angeles on Friday as they traveled to face Pepperdine in Malibu. However, things did not go much better for Texas on Sunday, either. Holiner/Whitehead were the only doubles team to win, forfeiting the doubles point to Pepperdine.

No. 98 Nick Naumann provided a ray of light for Texas as he defeated Mousheg Hovhannisyan, improving his dual match singles record to 4-1 on the season. Unfortunately, he was the only Longhorn to capture a singles victory on the day.

Texas drops to 4-3 on the season after beginning 3-0. The Longhorns will have an almost three-week break before returning to competition at the Pennick-Allison Tennis Center here in Austin Feb. 21, as they host UT-Arlington and Texas A&M Corpus Christi.