No. 11 Texas puts out solid team performance in New York

A pair of season-best efforts by seniors Hayden Baillio and Keiron Stewart highlighted a solid performance by the Longhorn track team in the Armory Collegiate Invitational in New York.

Baillio has been on fire throwing the shot put. The senior is now three-for-three with first-place finishes in the event this season and has been showing off his All-American pedigree. He posted a throw of 63 feet, seven and three-quarter inches, beating out all other competitors by more than eight inches.

Stewart clocked in at 7.73 in the 60-meter hurdles event for a second-place finish, but was outmatched by Clemson’s Spencer Adams, who blew away the competition with a time of 7.59 in the event.

Senior Jarad Bruner regressed from previous performances, but managed to finish sixth in the triple jump with a clearance of 48-0 and three-quarters. Emerson Sanders tied his season-best leap of 23-3 and one-quarter in the long jump, but finished tied for fourth.

Most of the Longhorns will compete again Friday and Saturday at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. Middle and long distance runners, meanwhile, will head to Seattle for the Husky Classic. The events will be the last chance for the athletes to tune up before the Big 12 Indoor Championships held Feb. 22-23 in Iowa.