Ellis, Addison lose first matches of the spring as Longhorns go 0-3 at team indoors

Longhorns Aerial Ellis and Breaunna Addison both entered the ITA National Team Indoors with a 5-0 record in singles play, but continuing their perfect streaks proved to be difficult.

Ellis overcame Georgia’s Lauren Herring at No. 1 singles to claim the match (4-6, 6-0, 6-2). The win continued her undefeated streak for the moment.

Meanwhile, Addison had a rough time with No. 18 Maho Kowase. Competitive during her 5-0 mark, she lost her first match in straight sets (1-6, 1-6).  

Texas eventually lost to Georgia 2-4 for the second straight time at this event. The loss sent them to the consolation round against Texas A&M.

Addison and Ellis both won on Saturday, but not in singles play. Addison and teammate Noel Scott claimed an 8-6 upset win over No. 7 Stancu-Hristov while Ellis and Elizabeth Begley won their match, giving the Longhorns a 1-0 lead over the Aggies.

Ellis lost her first singles match this season against No. 3 Sanchez-Quintanar (2-6, 2-6). Addison followed with a straight set loss, her second loss in as many days as the Longhorns dropped another match 2-4.

Sunday against Alabama, Ellis beat No. 12 Mary Anne Macfarlane (6-4, 6-4), moving to 7-1 on the season. Addison collected her only singles win of the weekend against No. 13 Alexa Guarachi.

Despite their success on Sunday, the Longhorns lost to the Crimson Tide 3-4, putting them 0-3 for the weekend.

The Longhorns have two weeks to recoup before they head up north to face Big 10 opponents Northwestern and Michigan.