Veteran leadership steers Lady Horns Golf to 5th Place in the opening round

A pair of seniors helped the Longhorns place fifth overall with a score of 15-over 299 in Monday’s first round of the 2013 Northrop Grumman Regional Invitational.

Seniors Desiree Dubreuil and Katelyn Sepmoree led Texas with a first round 3-over 74 each at the Par 71 Parlos Verdes Golf Club in Palos Verdes, Calif. Sepmoree ended the day with birdies on the par four ninth and 11th holes, a bogey at the 17th and two double bogeys at holes five and 10. Dubreuil teed off first for the Longhorns and had a rocky start on the front nine which included on holes three through nine a scorecard of bogey, birdie, bogey, bogey, double bogie, par and bogey. Her back nine produced a bogey-free half round of golf with birdies at the par four 12th and par four 18th. On the player leaderboard, both Dubreuil and Sepmoree are tied at 19th overall, four strokes behind the leader Alejandra Cangrejo of Duke.

Senior Madison Pressel finished one stroke behind her teammates at 4-over 75. Fellow senior Haley Stephens finished her round at 5-over 76 while sophomore Bertine Strauss rounded out the Longhorns at 6-over 77. Pressel, Stephens and Strauss are tied at 30th, 35th and 43rd respectively.

Overall, the UCLA Lady Bruins led the tournament at 4-over 288, while Duke and Florida are two shots off the lead. USC finished one stroke ahead of the Longhorns at 14-over 298.