Longhorns sweep Nebraska in second series of the season

Stock Up:  
Nathan Thornhill: Thornhill gave up four runs on six hits against Sacramento State through three innings ending with a 7.36 ERA and the loss. This past weekend against Nebraska, Thornhill went a full seven innings without a run on only two hits. He also struck out three batters.

Weekend Breakdown:
Game 1: It was a close game until the eighth inning when the Texas bats woke up and posted five runs against a struggling Nebraska defense. Sophomore Codey McElroy knocked in the go ahead run in the sixth, a two RBI shot up past third base. McElroy and junior Mark Payton both finished the night with two RBIs. Starter Parker French struggled on the mound in the second but otherwise pitched a solid game allowing only two runs off eight hits in six innings. Texas won 8-2.
Game 2: Nebraska kept it close to try to even the series and record its first win on the season. Dillon Peters gave up two runs off six hits through six innings, but it was freshman Chad Hollingsworth, who came in during the ninth, who got the win. The game was tied going to the bottom of the ninth when a walk-off single by C.J Hinojosa plated Erich Weiss for the 4-3 win.
Game 3: The Longhorns shut out the Cornhuskers 2-0 to complete the three game sweep. Thornhill had a good game from the mound pitching seven shutout innings. Junior Corey Knebel came in to close and finished with one strikeout and no hits or runs. Payton went 3-for-3 Sunday afternoon with one run and one RBI. Junior Jacob Felts came out with the other RBI. 

By the Numbers:
.500 : Payton’s batting average. Payton finished 5-for-9 on the weekend with two runs scored and five RBIs.
5: Perfect innings for Thornhill. He pitched five innings without a walk or a hit in his second outing. His only blemish was a hit-by-pitch in the seventh.
9: Series played by the Longhorns since they last swept an opponent. The Longhorns swept Oklahoma back in March of 2012 in Norman, Okla., their only sweep of 2012.

Up Next:
Texas will host Sam Houston State on Tuesday evening at 5 p.m. for its customary mid-week game. The Bearkats are 3-4 on the season and are coming off a 2-1 series win at home against Louisiana-Monroe.