Student Government supports keeping The Daily Texan daily

Student Government passed legislation Tuesday in support of The Daily Texan continuing to print five days a week. 

The legislation states that although the Texan has been experiencing financial difficulties because of decreasing advertising sales in recent years — with revenue decreasing to less than $1.3 million, down from $2.1 million in 2007 — reducing the print schedule would only further hurt the newspaper’s revenue.

Assembly chairwoman Crystal Zhao, government and communication studies senior, and Andrew Houston, architecture and urban studies senior, helped write the legislation. Zhao said they presented the issue to the assembly because the newspaper is important to express student concerns. 

The Texas Student Media Board will meet Friday at 1 p.m.

“Student opinions are often voiced through The Daily Texan and issues with great impact are often broadcasted via the print newspaper,” Zhao said. “To skip even a day of print news equals risking the opportunity to become informed about significant events that can occur in as little as 24 hours.”

Houston said he hopes this legislation spurs action from those outside of the newspaper, including alumni, to continue the daily print publication.

“Through this legislation I hope that we can create a larger dialogue between The Daily Texan, Texas Student Media and students to come up with a solution for the funding issue,” Houston said. “I’m not oblivious to the fact that print is becoming increasingly passe, but at the same time we aren’t in the position to cut the most vital part of The Daily Texan.”

Published on February 27, 2013 as "SG supports daily print publication".