Two top-15 finishes propels Longhorns to 9th place in final round of Allstate Sugar Bowl

Two top-15 finishes by senior Desiree Dubreuil and sophomore Bertine Strauss lands the Longhorn women’s golf team a ninth-place finish in the final round of the rain-shortened Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate golf tournament. The Longhorns (294-301) ended the tournament at 19-over-par.

Despite sustained winds over 15 mph, Dubreuil (69-74) ended the tournament as the lone Longhorn under par. Her score total of 1-under-par gave her a season-best fifth-place finish on the players’ leaderboard. Dubreuil’s final round started at the seventh hole, which she bogeyed. She went on to bogey holes 11, 13 and 1 before sinking three consecutive birdies on holes 2 through 4. Dubreuil ended the day with a bogey on her last hole at the par-5 sixth. Strauss finished her final round tied for 13th with a 2-over 146 as her scorecard consisted of three bogeys and 15 pars.

Senior Katelyn Sepmoree only dropped back one stroke from her first round total to close out the tournament at 6-over 150, tied for 35th place. Fellow senior Madison Pressel finished tied for 70th with a score of 12-over par. Freshman Natalie Karcher made her first appearance in the Texas team lineup and finished tied for 82nd place at 15-over 159.

The end of the tournament included a playoff between rivals USC and UCLA. Both teams finished in the top two of the 2013 Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge, with UCLA capturing that crown. This time it was the Lady Trojans who captured the team title. Twenty-seventh ranked Division I women’s golfer Hayley Davis of Baylor captured the individual title with a 4-under 140.