Longhorns outlasted by Rice at home

Noel Scott was in a position to clinch the doubles point and later the match against Rice. Both times she came up short and the Longhorns lost to the Owls.

No. 29 Texas (3-5) took the lead in doubles with a dominating win by Aeriel Ellis/Elizabeth Begley, 8-1. However, a loss by Lina Padegimaite/Lana Groenvynck left the deciding match at No. 1 singles.

Breaunna Addison/Scott built a 6-4 lead, but Rice’s Natalie Beazant/Dominique Harmath held serve and then broke the Longhorns to tie the match at 6-6. Rice held serve again to take the lead, 6-7 (Texas had not trailed since 1-2).

The duo came back to tie the match, but Rice won the last two games to take the doubles point.

In singles, No. 28 Ellis had the task of facing the decorated Beazant, ranked No. 71. The sophomore delivered a quick upset over Ellis (6-3, 6-1).

The Longhorns, down 0-2, rallied with three straight wins to take a 3-2 lead. No. 35 Addison tallied a win over No. 80 Harmath to put Texas ahead.

The deciding match was at No. 3 singles, after a loss by Juliana Gajic. Scott overcame a loss in the first and took a decisive second set to force a third.

Scott trailed in the third, 2-5, but rallied to close the gap to 4-5. But Liat Zimmerman took control of the final game and won 6-4. Rice took the victory over Texas, 4-3.

The Longhorns look to erase their two match losing streak next Sunday against Stanford.