Spring break helps Lady Horns golf prepare for upcoming tournament

While students enjoy the fun and relaxation of spring break, the Texas Longhorns women’s golf team will prepare for the upcoming Insperity Lady Jaguar Intercollegiate at the Forest Hills Golf Course in Augusta, Ga.

The last time the Longhorns competed, they finished ninth at the rain-shortened Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate golf tournament. The team will look toward senior Desiree Dubreuil’s recent hot streak to lead the team into Forest Hills. She leads the team in stroke average at 74.5 and finished as the highest ranked team player in two out of five tournaments. The Lady Horns lineup is scheduled for release later next week.

The par-72, 6,248-yard Forest Hills Golf Course is home to Georgia Regents University Augusta, even though it is referred to as Augusta State University. In their athletics department, the Jaguars’ men’s and women’s golf teams are NCAA Division I Independents. Augusta State is most recognized as a powerhouse in golf as the men’s team won the NCAA Division I Golf Championships in 2010 and 2011.

UTSA finished last year’s event on top of the team leaderboard at 16-over 880. They finished six strokes over host Augusta State. This year’s 54-hole tournament begins Friday, March 15.