Longhorns shut out Cyclones at home, move to 3-0 in Big-12

Texas is taking the Big 12 by storm, and Thursday’s match against Iowa State proved it.

The Longhorns and Cyclones met under cloudy conditions with a slight wind, but the weather did not faze Texas.

The match started off with doubles play. Early on, all three teams were in control, with Elizabeth Begley/Aeriel Ellis and Lina Padegimaite/Lana Groenvynck taking 4-0 leads at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.

Begley/Ellis put the Longhorns up in doubles with a convincing 8-1 win after Ellis followed a Cyclone error at the net with a strong return on the next serve.

No. 19 Breaunna Addison/Noel Scott clinched the doubles point for Texas with an 8-3 win. A win at No. 3 doubles completed the doubles sweep.

In singles, Padegimaite gave Texas a 2-0 lead with straight 6-1 set wins.

The top of the Longhorns order had early struggles against the Cyclones. At No. 3 singles, Scott fell down 2-4 in the first but rallied to win four straight games to claim the set.

Addison and Iowa State’s Ksenia Pronina each held their serves in the first until Addison broke Pronina to win 6-4. She put Texas in control of the match 3-0 with a 6-0 second set win.

At No. 6 singles, freshman Groenvynck beat Caroline Andersen in straight sets (6-1, 6-1) and clinched the match. Texas won 7-0, its third straight Big 12 win (3-0 on the season).  

The Longhorns return to the courts Friday against No. 11 Miami at 2 p.m.