School of Undergraduate Studies looking for new dean

The School of Undergraduate Studies is searching for a new dean, and candidates are in the process of visiting campus.

Five candidates will visit to share presentations and speak with students and faculty. The finalists were selected by the school’s search committee, which includes UT faculty, staff and students who will help advise University President William Powers Jr.

Michael Morton, Senate of College Councils president and member of the search committee, said the visits will help determine the best option to fill the position.

“It is very important for the dean candidates to come to campus and see how everything operates,” Morton said. “It’s even more important for them to listen to students and get a firm grasp on the issues affecting them, because these are the issues they’ll be tasked to solve and address.” 

The candidates include Bernard Mair, the provost of undergraduate affairs and mathematics professor at the University of Florida, who visited campus Thursday.

Selmer Bringsjord, chairman of the Department of Cognitive Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, will visit Tuesday.

Paul Diehl, a political science and law professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, will visit Thursday and Friday.

Steven Brint, the vice provost for undergraduate education and a sociology professor at the University of California at Riverside, will visit April 1 and 2. 

Brent Iverson, UT Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry chairman and professor, will give presentations April 4 and 5.