Women’s golf seek strong finish to regular season

Only one regular season tournament remains for the No. 23 Longhorns as they seek their fourth top five finish in five spring events at this weekend’s PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe, Arizona.

The only spring tournament the team did not finish in the top five was February’s rain-shortened Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate Golf Tournament when the team ended that tournament in ninth place. 

Senior Desiree Dubreuil has started all seven events the team participated in this 2012-13 season. She leads the Longhorns with a 74.90 scoring average and is tied with senior Madison Pressel and sophomore Bertine Strauss for individual low rounds of 69 in a single round. Dubreuil, Pressel and Strauss will play in the PING/ASU Invitational alongside senior Katelyn Sepmoree and true freshman Natalie Karcher.

Once again the Longhorns will face tough competition in the tournament as the field is loaded with 11 teams — including themselves — ranked in the Golf World/Women’s Golf Coaching Association Top 25 poll. Competition includes the top ranked USC Trojans, No. 2 Duke, No. 3 Alabama, No. 7 Arizona, No. 9 Washington, No. 11 UCLA, No. 13 Arizona State, No. 15 UC Davis, No. 16 Stanford and No. 25 Texas A&M.

The tournament will be played at Karsten Golf Course, considered by many as the “Home of Champions” because of the Arizona State’s nine national championships, seven of which came from the women’s golf program.