No. 5 men’s track and field ends Texas Invitational with four victories

The hometown stretch of the Longhorn’s meet schedule started off in fashion as the Longhorns took four victories from the Texas Invitational on Saturday.

The long distance team once again proved its worth with victories coming from Austin Bussing in the 1,500 meters and Kyle Thompson in the 800 meters. The other wins came from field events, with sophomore Will Spence’s win

in the discus and freshman Victor Glaze II out-jumping the competition in the high jump.

Thompson glided effortlessly around the track in the 800, ending with a personal best time of 1:48.48. The mark not only set a career-best for the young sophomore, but now stands at the top of this season’s Big 12 rankings.

Bussing’s victory in the 1,500 was close, and could have been won by a familiar face in teammate Trevor Van Ackeren, who followed close behind Bussing but had to settle for second place.

The Longhorn’s win in the discus also came at the expense of a teammate. Spence’s career-best 188-8 (57.52m) discus toss meant that Ryan Crouser finished second.

A selection of long distance runners will head to the Mt. SAC Relays to continue the outdoor season, while the rest of the team resumes action with hosting duties yet again for the Longhorn Invitational on Saturday.