Texas sends group of 13, mostly long distance runners, to California for Mt. SAC Relays

With most of the team resting for the Longhorn Invitational on Saturday, Texas sent a small group of mostly long distance runners to Walnut, Calif. to compete in the 55th annual Mt. SAC Relays on Thursday and Friday.

Of those donning the burnt orange and white will be junior Brittany Marches. This will be only the third time this outdoor season that Marches will compete in her signature event, the 3,000-meter steeplechase. But if her first two races are any indicators of how she will do, spectators can expect Marches to cross the line with a top-five finish on Thursday.

Junior Shanay Briscoe will be the only non-long distance Longhorn at the relays. Briscoe will look to outdo the rest of the field in Friday’s high jump competition as she aims to win the event for the first time this outdoor season. Bricoe’s closest encounter to the top of the podium came more than two weeks ago at the Texas Relays when she finished third.

In total, 13 Longhorns will compete in just six events over the two-day period. Friday will end with five Texas members racing in the 5,000-meters just hours before the Longhorn Invitational begins.