Texas blanks Houston 4-0 for midweek win, evens series against Cougars

Game Breakdown:

Innings 1-3: Except for Erich Weiss’ home run in the bottom of the first, the Longhorns didn’t score through the first three frames, though they connected on two base hits. Junior Josh Urban gave up only one hit through three innings as he faced just one over the minimum.

Innings 4-6: The Texas pitching staff continued to dominate on the mound. Freshman Travis Duke came in as relief in the fifth and the Cougars couldn’t get a hit until the sixth inning. C.J Hinojosa had an RBI single in the fifth to plate Weston Hall. The Longhorns took advantage of a dropped third strike to score a run in the sixth. Hall finished off the inning with an RBI double to plate Brooks Marlow. 

Innings 7-9: The offense went scoreless in the final two innings registering no hits and two strikeouts. Junior Ty Marlow came in as relief in the eighth and gave up only one hit while striking out three to close the game for Texas.

By the Numbers:

4: The Texas offense recorded four strikeouts in the bottom of the sixth inning. Junior designated hitter Jacob Felts struck out swinging but was able to reach due to a wild pitch on the third strike.

10: Brooks Marlow extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a single in the bottom of the sixth inning. 

28: Junior Mark Payton reached base safely in his 28th consecutive game Tuesday night. Payton went 0-for-3 against the Cougars but walked in the seventh.

Stock Up:

Erich Weiss: In his first start since breaking his nose against West Virginia this past weekend, Weiss hit a home run deep out of right field in his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning. The junior finished the night 1-for-4.

Stock Down:

Contact: Texas offense had trouble making contact Tuesday night against the Houston pitching staff. The Longhorns recorded 11 strikeouts while only coming up with four runs off eight hits. To make matters worse, the Texas pitching staff combined for only five strikeouts on the night.

What’s Next for the Longhorns:

The Longhorns will travel to Waco this weekend for a three-game series against Baylor. The Bears (21-20, 8-6) are currently ranked fourth in the Big 12 despite a 2-1 series loss on the road to TCU this past weekend. Texas will be looking to take its first conference series of the season after dropping eight straight, the most recent to West Virginia.

Related Headlines

Longhorns shut out Cougars 4-0