Writer pays tribute to colleagues

Nick
Andrea Macias-Jimenez

Sports writer Nick Cremona showcases his trademark personality every chance he gets. 

Editor's note: A 30 column is a chance for departing permanent staff to say farewell and reflect on their time spent in The Daily Texan’s basement office. The term comes from the old typesetting mark (-30-) to denote the end of a line.

Here’s to everyone who has spent an entire day and most of the night in the remarkably vibrant basement that houses The Daily Texan. 

To Frank Serpas, who will likely go unnoticed by many, but is the life support keeping things running behind the scenes at Texas Student Media. Frank, you’re awesome. To Trey Scott, who gently pushed me into the field of journalism, even if my only experience was writing snarky notes on Facebook about cats. 

Natasha Smith, master of all things design and one of the most accommodating people I have had the pleasure to work with, keep doing your thing, girl. Elisabeth Dillon and Lawrence Peart became the cutest, most conscientious couple of photographers to ever grace the Texan with their presence and will go on to flourish in whatever endeavor they choose. 

To Christian Corona, who can crank out stories with more depth and brute force than anyone I have ever seen, much respect to you, sir. Susannah Jacob, you may have never fully understood my appreciation for you, but I think you have a great head on your shoulders and I know you will succeed as a thought-provoking journalist sooner rather than later. Laura Wright, you may think I’m a prick who daydreams about yoga pants and sports, and you’re probably right, but I still respect you and think you’re one hell of a journalist. 

Bobby freaking Blanchard, the man of many bowties and different hues of orange, your mark on the Texan will always be a fanciful and productive one. Keep up the good work, Bobby, and for goodness’ sake, take a nap once in awhile. Pu, I can’t spell your last name, but thanks for always making me laugh. 

To Jorge Corona, an underrated filmmaker who should have his compass set on Cannes or Sundance, save me a seat! Life and Arts would be nothing without the superb direction of Kelsey McKinney, who happens to employ some of the coolest business cards in the game. Hannah Smothers, I don’t think I’ll ever understand all the angst you harbor toward seemingly everything, but I do enjoy reading your excellent stories whenever I can. Hayley Fick, a woman of few words but many passions, including NASA. That’s inspiring and don’t ever stop doing what you love. There are too many people to list individually, but the news team continually produces great content and even if no one is reading your work now, the experience you are gaining now will benefit you in the future. You know this already. That’s why you work for the Texan, right? 

To the designers, copy editors, comics crew, photo staff and countless others that worked their tails off every day to produce an excellent daily newspaper, know that I love each and every one of you. 

Doug Warren, I’ve learned a lot from you and I appreciate the time you devoted to help us kids out. My time at the Texan isn’t about what I was able to do, because believe me it wasn’t anything groundbreaking. Rather, I feel that the enriching environment I was in for the past two years and change has shaped me into a more helpful and understanding person who is primed to achieve his goals outside of the classroom and this university. Looking back, I would not have spent any less time in that once gloomy basement because it would have meant missing out on some of the most memorable moments I’ve had as an undergrad. Long live the Texan.

-30-