Season opener against New Mexico State practically an automatic win for Texas

Texas wins if… 

They step onto the field, clad in their trademark burnt orange and just play football. The Longhorns are six-touchdown favorites and New Mexico State is projected to be one of the worst Division I teams in the country. The team will win, but the fans will win and have their nerves calmed if Texas can come out and handle an inferior opponent like a conference title contender should. Texas’ last three season openers, all unconvincing wins, were pretty solid indicators as to how the rest of the season would unfold. The offense needs to have around 300 yards passing, 300 yards rushing, and put the ball in the end zone at will, even after the backups relieve the starters. The defense needs to show it can tackle soundly, something they proved would be a season-long issue last year, after beating Wyoming in the 2012 opener. If the Longhorns dominate and avoids key injuries, they win. 

Texas loses if… 

Every scholarship player comes down with pneumonia and cannot play. However, if the Longhorns don’t thoroughly manhandle an outgunned enemy, it will feel a little something like a loss. After the last three seasons, the Longhorns fan base is a bit gun-shy about buying into the 2013 squad and a sloppy win will do nothing to ease those concerns. There’s close to a zero percent chance Texas loses Saturday night, but a feeling of dread and “Oh no, here we go again…” will fill Darrel K. Royal Stadium if the 42-point spread isn’t covered and the Longhorns don’t look like a Big 12 champion. Vince Young and Colt McCoy’s teams absolutely killed the will of their season-opening opponents. Texas loses if they don’t do that to the Aggies.