Longhorns shellacked by BYU, 40-21

Joe Capraro

Junior quarterback David Ash was knocked down in the first half against BYU. The No. 15 Longhorns lost to the Cougars 40-21 in Provo, Utah on Saturday night.

It was Deja vu on Saturday evening. Texas appeared to be the 2012 team it didn’t want to be.  

After close to a two-hour weather delay, BYU and Texas took the field for a game that the Longhorns definitely want back. The 40-21 loss for Texas showed flashbacks of the 2012 team, the same defensive unit that was the worst in school history. 

Texas started slow on both sides of the ball. The Longhorn defense gave up 349 rushing yards to BYU in the first half alone, the most they’ve allowed in one half in the last ten seasons. In total, Manny Diaz’s defense gave up 550 yards on the ground, which broke a dubious record for most rushing yards allowed in a single game in program history.  

Texas’ offense was without star Daje Johnson, who left the game in the first quarter with an ankle injury. It got worse for Texas, as Ash eventually left the game after being shaken up on a scramble in the fourth quarter.

Major Applewhite’s offense struggled without Johnson, who is a key weapon for the Longhorns on the ground and in the air. Texas was only able to capitalize on three drives during the game, which was a problem Mack Brown hoped to solve with their new up-tempo offense.

In the second half, Texas showed no improvement. Taysom Hill was able to lead his team down the field for another 13 points while the Longhorns failed to produce points on offense.

Diaz’s defense has faced criticism in the past for not being able to stop the run game, and the unit struggled mightily once again Saturday night. Hill ran over Texas’ defense, recording 259 rushing yards — the second most yards in a single game in BYU history.