Texas soccer heads to Colorado for matches against Air Force, Colorado College

Texas soccer will face off against Air Force and Colorado College this weekend in Colorado for its second road trip of the season, after sweeping two home matches in its last outings. 

In its last road trip, the Longhorns lost both games despite outshooting their opponents. Last weekend, the Longhorns were able to capitalize on a total 32 shots to beat Samford 2-0 and top Illinois State 2-1. Before the home stand, Texas had outshot opponents 62-29 on the season but only had one win to show for it.

Texas will play the Air Force Falcons, who hold a 1-3-1 record this season, on Friday. The team won its first match Sept. 8, beating Grand Canyon 1-0. The Falcons finished 5-9-3 in the Mountain West Conference in 2012.

Freshman Ashley Greco has been consistent through her first five career games, assisting on all three of the Falcons’ goals. Senior goalkeeper Kelly Stambaugh leads the Academy record in goals-against average, or goals allowed per 60 minutes of play, at 1.06. Stambaugh also ranks second in career shutouts with 14, and third in wins, minutes and saves for the program.

The Colorado College Tigers go into the weekend holding a 2-3-0 record so far this season, but will play a match against Ball State University on Friday before Sunday’s matchup against Texas. 

The Tigers competed in the Marquette Tournament last weekend, splitting their two matches with a 2-0 win over Loyola University of Chicago followed by a 3-1 loss to Marquette. Senior Lynn Froetscher has one goal and three assists, but sophomore Sarah Schweiss and freshman Chanisse Hendrix have two goals apiece on the season.

On offense, Texas will rely on junior midfielder Sharis Lachappelle, who totaled six shots and her first goal of 2013 against Illinois State, and junior Brooke Gilbert, who tallied her team-leading third goal in the same game. The Longhorns will also look to freshman defender Isabelle Kerr, who recorded an assist in the game and earned Big 12 Newcomer of the Week honors.  

Sophomore goalkeeper Abby Smith stepped up against Illinois State, blocking a penalty kick in the 87th minute and recording three saves, securing her ninth career shutout. Those performances earned her Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week. Smith has played every minute in goal for the Longhorns in 2013 and features a .80 goals-against average.