Donated items sold to raise funds for sustainability

The Trash to Treasure sale and fundraiser moved its location this fall to Gregory Gym Plaza with hopes of reaching more students.  

The Trash to Treasure fundraiser, which is sponsored by the Campus Environmental Center, sells donated items like clothing, shoes and other goods every semester to raise awareness about sustainability and raise money for the center's events. Emily Mixon, plan II honors geography senior and director of the event said the sale is usually held at the Flawn Academic Center.

“This morning is a lot busier than I’ve seen it before,” Mixon said.

Mixon said the fundraiser usually raises around $2,000, and the funds go toward other eco-friendly initiatives.

“This is our main fundraiser for the year and one of my favorite events,” Mixon said. “It’s not blatantly about going green. So I feel like we get to reach out to a lot of students who might shy away from that or might think that it doesn’t apply to them.”

The organization diverts about three tons of materials from landfills, Mixon said.

“A lot of [the items are] perfectly good stuff, but most of it would have been thrown away,” Mixon said. “Just because I don’t want something doesn’t mean it isn’t good, [which] I feel like happens so often within our society and especially college students.”

Mixon said the items that are not sold will most likely go back into storage for the next sale that will take place in March, but said the organization is partnered with Goodwill and donates clothing items to them as well.