Moody College of Communication celebrates donation

2013-11-08-Moody_Jenna
Jenna Von Hofe

The Moody College of Communication hosted a celebration Thursday to thank the Moody Foundation for their $50 million contribution to the college.

A portion of the donation will go toward renovations in the Jesse H. Jones Communication Complex. These renovations will include the construction of a pedestrian bridge connecting the Belo Center for New Media and the Jones Complex. 

The celebration marked the official renaming of the college and also featured a reveal of the college’s new logo.

Roderick Hart, dean of the College of Communication, said this gift from the Moody family will aid in the development of the college and its students for years to come.

“The Moodys do not just believe in us for 2013, they believe in us for the long haul,” Hart said. “In making their gift, the Moodys [really] believe in our students. They are betting that the young men and women gathered on this plaza will change the world, just as our former student Walter Cronkite changed the world.”

President Bill Powers said the donation from the Moody family will transform the way the University conducts research.

“This is going to be a gift that will transform how we do research, how we teach and [how we] will benefit students for years and years to come,” Powers said.