Texas claims 3rd at CBE Classic

AP_Bball_Gamer
The Associated Press

Sophomore center Cameron Ridley had a career day for Texas, posting 19 points and 9 rebounds in the win.

Just 24 hours after losing its first game of the season, Texas recorded its first road victory of the year in an impressive bounce-back performance against DePaul, winning 77-59.

After dropping their CBE semi-final matchup to BYU in Kansas City on Monday night, the Longhorns (5-1) blew out the Blue Demons (3-3) at the Sprint Center last night, earning themselves a third-place finish in the annual early-season tournament.

Texas was led by sophomore big man Cameron Ridley, who recorded his second career-high performance in two nights. After swatting a career-best six blocks in Monday’s game against the Cougars, Ridley set a career mark for points (19) Tuesday night, converting six of his eight field goal attempts. The former McDonald’s All-American appears to be finding his stride in his second year at the collegiate level, running the floor well and displaying an improved post presence.

Ridley’s supporting cast was also impressive on the offensive end. Four other Longhorns scored in double figures, making it the second time this season Texas has had at least five players accomplish that feat. As a team, Texas shot the ball well, hitting 50 percent from the field while shooting a season high 82.1 percent from the free-throw line.