Weekend Previews

Track and field to compete in the Razorback Team Invitational

The Texas track and field program will split up this week, with the distance and field event groups heading to Arkansas for the Razorback Team Invitational while the sprinters and quarter-milers dash to Iowa State for the Bill Bergan Invitational.

The Longhorns will certainly have their hands full at the small but loaded meet in Fayetteville, Ark. The 19th-ranked men will be facing off against five top-10 teams, including the top two teams in the country in Arkansas and Florida, while the second-ranked women also compete against five teams in the women’s top 10, including third-ranked archrival Texas A&M.

The sprinters should have less trouble at the event in Ames, Iowa, although the men will be weary of fourth-ranked Wisconsin and No. 15 Minnesota.

Although neither team is likely to place well in their respective meets because of the event split, the weekend will be a chance to showcase individual talent.

—Grant Gordon

Top-ranked Stanford visits Austin

The Longhorns face their greatest challenge of the dual-match season Friday when they host defending national champion Stanford.

No. 17 Texas will go up against a highly ranked Cardinal team, including No. 6 Kristie Ahn and two top-16 doubles tandems.

The Cardinal beat the Longhorns 7-0 in their game last year in Palo Alto, Calif.

Weather problems have been an obstacle for the team.

“Fortunately, we have our [back-up] indoor facility so we’ve been able to make good use of that,” head coach Patty Fendick-McCain said. 

The forecast predicts a sunny and mild setting for the 2:30 p.m. start.

Men’s tennis hosts Alabama

After a thrilling win last Sunday in Nashville, Tenn., the Longhorns return home to face No. 32 Alabama.

Texas (5-0) will play at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center for the first time this season. Its first two home matches were played at the indoor Edgar O. and Melanie A. Weller Tennis Center.

The Longhorns moved up six spots to No. 14 in the ITA Rankings after tallying two wins against top-20 opponents Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.

As an incentive for coming to the match, Bevo’s Baseline Brigade — the official fan club of Texas tennis — will give out free T-shirts to the first 150 people who sign up for its free service.

The team will hand out free pizza to the first 75 fans.

These are just a couple of reasons to come early and watch a top-ranked team in action.

Play between the Longhorns and Crimson Tide will begin at noon Saturday.

—Chris Caraveo