Of all the things, baseball paves the way

2014-04-30_Chris_Caraveo_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

I went 19 years not caring about baseball. I didn’t hate baseball, but I wasn’t a fan either. I just didn’t grow up playing the sport. 

It was only fitting that it would be my first step into The Daily Texan.

Entering my junior year at UT I switched majors from mathematics to journalism.  At the beginning of the semester, I submitted an application for The Daily Texan. I then received an email from the sports editor, Christian Corona. My tryout piece: a review of the Round Rock Express’ season.

Great. Baseball. I know next to nothing about it. 

But I did what a journalist ought to do in this situation: research, learn. I didn’t understand ERA meant or what a good one was. So I looked it up. There was nothing wrong with being behind the curve. If I put effort into learning what certain things meant, I would be in a better position to turn in a decent story.

Fortunately, my work paid off. After tryouts, Christian welcomed me to The Daily Texan. He brought me in to the office and we edited my piece. He was impressed with what I wrote considering I didn’t watch baseball. A few weeks later, I had my first article in the paper. Thanks for the opportunity, Christian.

I have spent the last two years covering the women’s tennis team. What I’ll always remember about going to the matches is not singing the “Eyes of Texas” after each match. As a Longhorn, I wanted to join, but, as a journalist, I had to be neutral. It was awesome, though, to witness Aerial Ellis claim her 100th victory on Senior Day.

I wish I would have gotten to know other staff members better. Aside from staff meetings and reading their stories, I didn’t put enough effort into learning from my fellow Texan writers. 

I did befriend Chris Hummer before I came to the Texan. When we met, it was hard not to like the guy. He always finds a way to connect with everyone he meets, something a journalist should be capable of. We played basketball nearly every other day our sophomore year. When he became the sports editor, Chris took the time to go through my stories and point out what needed work and what looked well. 

My final semester at the Texan has been one of the best at UT. I attended Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s media day after he won the Daytona 500. The tennis team endured one of the nation’s toughest schedules. And I enjoyed Friday afternoon staffsketball. Who knew Shabab had a shot like Kobe or that Mike Brick was such a force in the paint? It was fun playing with everyone who came out. 

As I write this column on my couch, I notice my El Paso Chihuahuas cap on the table. I’m still not a baseball fan, but that cap will serve as a reminder of how I started my career at the Texan.

-30-