Updated: Man dies of self-inflicted gunshot wound at Littlefield Fountain

Shelby Tauber

Update (2:19 p.m.): In response to a man’s death by suicide Sunday night in front of Littlefield Fountain, the Counseling and Mental Health Center is making active attempts to spread word of suicide prevention resources through social media, according to CMHC Associate Director Jane Bost.

“That’s how we’re responding this morning — just making sure that word is out there, that we’re available if there’s a need for anyone enrolled as a student here to know about our services,” Bost said.

Bost said the center has reached out to Texas Parents and other groups since the incident occurred.

“We’re just acknowledging that this has happened and making sure that people are aware of the services at CMHC at this time,” Bost said.

A crowd of roughly 100 people gathered around the fountain after midnight Monday morning as rumors spread about the incident.

UTPD spokeswoman Cindy Posey said a campus police officer was present when the victim shot himself.

“We had gotten word that he was coming to campus because he put a post on Facebook,” Posey said. “An officer was walking up when it happened.”

Posey said the man was only determined to be a threat to himself and not the campus as a whole, which is why the University only tweeted about the incident and did not send a University-wide email or text message.

“We tweeted because other people were tweeting and wondering what was going on,” Posey said. “We try not to abuse the system, because we want people to always take our emails seriously when there is a serious threat. We try not to send out too many so that people become desensitized — so we only do that when we know it’s a threat.”

— Julia Brouillette

Original story: A man died by suicide Sunday night in front of Littlefield Fountain, according to UTPD spokeswoman Cindy Posey. The man, who was not a UT student, faculty member or staff member, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after being taken to Brackenridge Hospital, Posey said.

According to Posey, UTPD officers were notified about the incident at 11:51 p.m. when someone saw a concerning post the victim wrote on social media. The man was transported to the hospital at 11:57 p.m. and pronounced dead at 12:13 a.m.

"Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the victim," Posey said. 

If you or anyone you know is considering self-harm, here are University and community resources:

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255.

UT Counseling and Mental Health Center Crisis Line: 512-471-2255

Behavior Concerns Advice Line: 512-232-5050.

For more resources, click here.

Correction: This article has been corrected since its original posting. Though a UTPD officer arrived at the scene during the incident, the man died at Brackenridge Hospital.