Longhorn women win conference championship

A fantastic regular season propelled the Longhorns to a No. 2 overall ranking, but that meant nothing on Friday when the Longhorns began postseason competition at the Big 12 Outdoor Championships in Lubbock.

Friday did not bring any medals for the Longhorn women, but Senior Megan Siebert’s fifth place finish in the 10,000-meters and senior Shanay Briscoe’s strong performances in the first day of heptathlon events set the table for a great weekend for first year head coach Mario Sategna’s squad.

"[Briscoe’s] a senior, she's a veteran," Sategna said. "We never want to take that for granted. It's very nice to have someone of her caliber that sets the tone."

The awards began to trickle in for the Longhorns on Saturday.

Shanay Briscoe’s strong performance Friday placed the senior in position to finish fourth in her first ever heptathlon.

Keeping with the regular season trend, pole-vaulter Kaitlin Petrillose easily bested her competition. The sophomore’s had to clear only one bar to capture her fourth consecutive conference title, doing so on her second attempt at 4.22 meters.

Sunday brought on a deluge of medals for Texas, with a lot of those coming from the dominant stable of sprinters.

Sophomore Courtney Okolo, followed by freshman Kendall Baisden and Senior Briana Nelson, led a podium sweep in the 400-meters. Okolo’s winning time of 50.03 set an NCAA record in the event.

Sophomore Morolake Akinosun added to the sprinters’ medal count with victories in the 100 and 200-meters, while senior Marielle Hall’s victory in the 1,500-meters capped a strong effort from the distance group.

The wealth of first place finishes on Sunday vaulted the Longhorns, who began the day in sixth place, to first place and a Big 12 championship.

The Longhorns will look to continue their success as they head to Fayetteville, Arkansas May 29-31 for the NCAA West Regional, the qualifier for June’s national meet.