Longhorns blank Cowboys in second round of Big 12 Championship

Thanks to a combined shutout by junior pitchers Dillon Peters and Parker French, No.22 Texas remained undefeated in the 2014 Big 12 Tournament after defeating No.11 Oklahoma State, 3-0, on Thursday night.

Peters (7-3) pitched the first five innings for the Longhorns, allowing four hits in five innings of work. French relieved Peters in the top of the sixth, pitching four scoreless innings while allowing just one hit to record his first save of the season.

Freshman first baseman Kacy Clemens was the star of the game at the plate, batting in all three of Texas’ runs. Clemens also made impressive plays with his glove, particularly on a difficult throw from Peters in the top of the fourth.

The Longhorns struck first in the bottom of the second when Clemens hit home senior designated hitter Madison Carter.  They threatened again in the fourth and seventh, but were unable to get a run across despite two runners on base.

In the bottom of the eighth Texas put a couple of insurance runs on the board, after loading the bases with one out. Clemens hit a hard single to the shortstop, whose errant throw to second base allowed a second Texas run to score on the play.

Senior centerfielder Mark Payton extended his on-base streak to 93 games, tying a Big 12 record after reaching base three times in four plate appearances.

The Longhorns are next scheduled to play at 12:30 tomorrow and will take on the winner of tonight's game between Oklahoma State and Oklahoma. The Longhorns will only need to win once on Saturday to advance to the Championship on Sunday.